There is no lasting peace and rebuilding possible without the inclusion of women. Gender Concerns International fully supports the statement of the participating women in the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum, and highlights the importance of their inclusion. A seat at the table of the forum for these women allows them to speak up for the rights of all women in Libya. A sustainable peace and the rebuilding of Libya are is only possible if we listen to these women.
The Statement of the Libyan Women Participating in the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum
Believing in the importance of the role of women as a real national partner in promoting peace, peaceful dialogue, and rebuilding the state on the foundations of sovereignty, unity, civil peace, national reconciliation, justice, equality and equal opportunities between the sons and daughters of the nation;
With the aim of protecting the gains of Libyan women and reinforcing their effective participation in political life and in the decision-making process at all levels as a basic pillar of democratic practice,
In response to and in implementation of the United Nations Security Council Resolution (#1325) on women, peace and security issued on October 31, 2000, and the United Nations Security Council Resolution (# 2467) on combating sexual violence in conflicts issued on April 23, 2019,
Emphasising the need to incorporate the recommendations that emerged from the preliminary consultative track of the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum convened by the United Nations Support Mission in Libya (UNSMIL) in October with broad participation of Libyan women during four consultative sessions (via Zoom),
We, the Libyan women participating in the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum held in Tunis on 9-14 November 2020, the signatories, declare our adherence to the following principles and recommendations:
1. In the formation of the executive authority, the real representation of women in leadership positions shall be taken into account. The representation of women shall be no less than 30% while providing all guarantees of competence, including technical expertise, academic qualification, and integrity.
2. Ensuring respect for the rights of women belonging to the various cultural components of Libyan society, as well as their effective engagement and participation in political life in a manner that promotes the efforts of Libyan women and makes good use of their competencies.
3. In the designation process of the two deputy prime ministers, one of the two deputies shall be a woman in order to reinforce and activate the principle of the women’s participation in decision-making and the state-building.
4. Restructuring and activating the Women’s Empowerment Unit that shall consist of three experienced women. The Women’s Empowerment Unit shall be entrusted with the task of amending the strategic proposal developed in 2015 by Libyan female leaders in cooperation with UNMSIL’s Women’s Support Office, and establishing an independent and functional Council for Women.
5. The State shall fulfill its international commitments and respect the conventions and treaties related to the rights and protection of women as ratified by the Libyan state.
6. Taking the necessary measures to combat and eliminate discrimination against women, especially against female survivors of conflict-related violence. This shall be done by putting in place mechanisms for the professional and social integration and economic empowerment of women.
7. Provide psychosocial and legal support services to female survivors of gender-based violence.
8. Provide special protection for women, especially for politically active women and activists. This shall be done through the development and enforcement of national laws to combat and eliminate all forms of violence against women.
We also recommend that in the formation of the Government of National Unity, competency, merit, and fair representation of the political and geographical diversity shall be taken into account; participation of cultural components shall be guaranteed, and the importance of the genuine representation of youth shall also be taken into consideration. Youth shall represent no less than 20% of the Government of National Unity’s leadership positions.
We hope that the Libyan Political Dialogue Forum will contribute to supporting the full participation of Libyan women in all efforts aiming at establishing peace throughout Libya and leading the country down the path to stability and prosperity.